Author Archive: Michael Wayne

Rhodes Public School/Rhodes Community Centre – Rhodes, NSW

This building served the community of Rhodes from 1922, when the suburb was only mildly polluted, to 1993, when it glowed in the dark. Continuing in its tradition of making smart choices for the Rhodes area, the NSW Government sold the school to the Canada Bay Council, which has used it as a community centre ever since. Amusingly and unsurprisingly, most of the school amenities are still in place, including the loudspeaker under the roof.

It’s strange to see a school without the Building Education Revolution scheme’s signature flimsy, tacked on buildings. The problem the Rhodes community now faces is where their three-headed children will go to school. All the local schools have filled up rapidly since the area became residential, forcing parents to send their children further away from Rhodes for their education. Given what we know, is that really such a bad thing?

George the Barber/Joe the Barber – Kingsgrove, NSW

Hotel Westend/Nomads Westend Backpackers Hostel – Sydney, NSW

The Hotel Westend was built in 1929 as the Hotel Morris, and replaced a business called ‘Half Price Shoe Stores’, which had filed for bankruptcy in 1925. Shoulda charged full price, guys.

From its erection in 1929 through to 1963, the building was Australia’s tallest hotel. Now, as Nomads Westend Backpackers Hostel, it’s apparently Australia’s most repulsive:

Before providing filthy rooms at a greater height than anyone else, back in 1890 the boarding house that stood at this address was embroiled…in CONTROVERSY!

South Australian Register, December 23, 1890.

The very next day, the plot thickened:

The Argus, December 24, 1890.

And then…nothing. Dodgy NSW cops? Sure it wasn’t 1980? Also, pretty ballsy of the Argus to call out the detectives as stupid given their spelling of ‘skull’.

Old Burial Ground/Sydney Town Hall – Sydney, NSW

George Street, 2012.

George Street, 1844. Burial ground on the left. Image courtesy State Library NSW DG SV*/Sp Coll/Rae/7.

Considered the outskirts of town in 1792, the site at the corner of George and Druitt Streets in Sydney was chosen by Governor Arthur Phillip to be the colony of New South Wales’ primary burial ground. By 1820, however, the cemetery had become full, and was closed as a result. It fell into a period of dereliction and neglect, gaining a reputation as a place to avoid, especially on hot days and at night.

Sydney had grown exponentially by the 1840s, and it had been suggested that the burial ground be used as the site of a town hall for Sydney. Despite vehement opposition in some sectors…

And it goes on for another page. SMH, June 8, 1844.

…plans went ahead. The Sydney City Council applied for and received a grant of a portion of the burial ground in 1865. Reinterment of the bodies took place in 1869, with most moved to Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney’s west. Most

The Argus, August 17, 1883.

Barrier Miner, July 6, 1892.

The Argus, March 8, 1904.

SMH, July 29, 1924.

Barrier Miner, June 19, 1929.

Canberra Times, October 17, 1934.

More graves were found in 1974, 1991, 2003, and as recently as 2008:

Image courtesy Casey & Lowe.

At the very least, the extreme amount of bodies left at the site ensured high turnout numbers for Town Hall events.

There is little on the site today to recognise the site’s former life as a cemetery. I guess they thought that since there were so many bodies left behind, they didn’t need one. Still, in this small, dank alcove which reeks of piss, there’s a tiny reminder:

It reads:

This plaque is dedicated to the memory of those who arrived in this country with Captain Arthur Phillip on the First Fleet in 1788 and were buried nearby.

-Fellowship of First Fleeters, 1988

“Were“? Still, Town Hall can take comfort in the fact it’s not the only former burial ground site used by a major Sydney landmark today. Yes, like Weekend at Bernie’s II, they did it again…

Benevolent Asylum/Parcels Post Office/Medina Hotel – Sydney, NSW

The Parcels Post Office, situated at Railway Square beside Central Station, was built in 1913 and operated as a post office until the 1960s. Prior to the construction of Central Station in 1901, this was roughly the site of the Benevolent Asylum:

Benevolent Asylum. Image courtesy State Records NSW.

After decades of sitting derelict, someone finally decided the former post office would be good to go with a little funky cold Medina:

Nothing like a hotel right next to the train line!