This place, beside the Norfolk Hotel on Cleveland Street, Surry Hills, has been closed for a good long while. It’s hard to say exactly when it closed from what we can see. There’s a development proposal, so there might not be much time left for it, either. What amazes me is just how much you could get done at a place like this back when it was actually open and functioning. You could get your hair done while waiting for your clothes to be dry cleaned, AND buy a gift for your significant other and toys for the kids. And cigarettes. They all sold cigarettes back then.
- A Sydney Anthology A unique take on Sydney history, profiling the city through art and literature.
- Batman and Me My feature documentary about an obsessive Batman collector.
- Dictionary of Sydney An invaluable research resource. Pretty sure I’m a contributor there now.
- Fab Sydney Flashbacks Sydney’s modern urban history traced through media. Recommended.
- Mirror Sydney It’s Vanessa Berry’s town, we’re just living in it.
- ShhSydney Finding beauty in the abandoned since ’13
- The Old Parramattan For those who want to experience Parramatta in the old, OLD days…
- Trove The NLA’s amazing archive of old print.
- VOSSSTRASSEDOTCOM A fascinating travelogue of post-war Berlin. Witty, educational, and damn thorough.
- Wayning Interests My other blog.
I think I remember this when it was open, going by on the bus to/from UNSW. It looked like an oldfashioned barbershop with a few small items displayed in the window (presumably the gifts). I’m pretty sure it’s only been closed for a few years.